I must be in a "mood", because I picked another light, fun romance to read. I have to say, there is something about a quick read. One of those books that you can't put down, don't want to end. This is another one of those.
Maddy, the main character is a young, successful professional, whose life is turned upside down when her fiancee and business partners leaves her. She decides to follow a dream, purchasing a bed and breakfast in need of repair on the Maine coast.
The book takes us through her transition to a small town as "the new girl". We watch as she and her enormous dog meet and befriend Otis, the elderly widower next door. And then as Otis introduces her to church. Or re-introduces may be the better term. She alludes to being an active Christian earlier in life, but had fallen away from the church. Otis sees to it that she finds it again.
Maddy finds a local contractor to do all of the renovations on the home, which are quite extensive. John, a single father of two young boys, is also an active member in the church. The two find their relationship, and it blossoms, until Maddy's ex decides to find her.
Like all true romance novels, the story has it's ups and downs. I really enjoyed it because I identified with Maddy. I've always dreamed of running a bed and breakfast. And I loved the Christian storyline. It was a beautiful insight into the family a church can become, and members of that family show up at various times to help Maddy through difficult situations. Because of the Christian theme, this romance novel isn't filled with sex, and infidelity. It's a pure romance. I imagine it hit a cord with my old-fashioned, romantic self.
No comments:
Post a Comment