Rebooting My Brain, How a Freak Aneurysm Reframed My Life, by Maria Ross
Two years ago, my best friend almost died in a car accident, and to this day continues to live and recover from traumatic brain injury (TBI). She found this book, and insisted I read it as well. I have never read a book that touched me so closely. Ross is brutally open and honest with her experiences as well as those of her husband, family, and friends.
Ross's life at the time of the aneurysm is rising quickly, a relatively new marriage, move to a new city, launching a new company. When all of a sudden, her life stops. Literally. A freak aneurysm (she is young,fit, and healthy) puts her into the ICU, fighting for her life.
The counts of her fights with daily chores as she recovers brought tears to my eyes, as I see the parallels to my own friend's life. All of the frustrations she's had in her recovery, the anxiety, fatigue, emotional overload....the roller coaster of improvements and setbacks....all of it. As I read, I could only imagine what it had meant to my friend as SHE read it. The AHA moments she must have had...
Ross's humor and insight bring TBI to an understandable, and manageable level. For anyone who has been touched by TBI, either themselves or through someone in their life, this book is a must read. And honestly, it is so well written, that anyone would enjoy it.
No comments:
Post a Comment